Constipation is a very common condition that affects most people. However, if you suffer from constipation regularly, then it is indeed bad news. While most people are embarrassed to speak about the condition, chronic constipation can even lead to piles and hemorrhoids. These conditions are severe and result in symptoms including rectal bleeding, prolapsed rectum and hemorrhoids. In order to prevent these conditions from occurring, it is better to keep a check on constipation at an early stage. Medication and surgeries are used in the treatment of constipation.
However, the best way to treat it is with simple and effective remedies at home.There are certain lifestyle habits that contribute to the condition of constipation. Thus, with a treatment plan that includes lifestyle changes along with home remedies, you can prevent constipation easily and effectively.
Here is a list of home remedies that can help you treat as well as prevent constipation:
- Castor oil: Castor oil, one of the most common home remedies, is used to treat constipation. It acts as a natural laxative and helps to regulate bowel movement. The contents of castor oil stimulate the process of digestion. Therefore, you should consume a teaspoon of castor oil daily, to aid digestion.
- Oats and cereals: The breakfast of champions would surely include oatmeal and cereals. The best way to ease constipation is to start the day with a bowl of either oatmeal or cereal. Both of them are rich in fiber, which is exactly what you require in your diet to keep constipation at bay. These fibrous meals help to flush the waste out of your digestive tract. The fiber soaks the water content from stools like a sponge. This increases the mass of the stools, which helps push the material through the intestines and clears out the colon.
- Prunes and raisins: Both prunes and raisins have high fiber content which makes them ideal remedies for constipation. The daily requirements of fiber are approximately 25 to 30 grams. Hence, you should include around 7 to 8 prunes in your daily diet, since they contain three grams of fiber, each. Eating around 100 grams of raisins per day, can reduce the time it takes to digest food in about half. Therefore a little of both of these dried fruits should be included in your diet, in order to counter constipation.
- Aloe Vera juice: The benefits of Aloe Vera are numerous, and it is an effective remedy for constipation as well.The gel from the Aloe Vera plant provides soothing relief to your stomach and helps empty the bowels. You can drink the Aloe Vera juice every morning to aid your bowel movements. This will help to ease the condition of constipation.
- Lemon water: Lemon water is a natural laxative, used in the treatment of constipation. Lemon contains citric acid, which aids the process of digestion. Thus, drinking a cup of warm water mixed with a lemon every day will help to flush out all the undigested substances from your body. The water helps dilute the acid content of the lemon and helps keep the body hydrated as well.