Testosterone is the male hormone produced by the testicles that is responsible for proper development of the male reproductive system. It is also significant for maintaining the sexual drive, muscle, and bone health, levels of RBCs, and a state of general well-being.
As we age, the levels of testosterone in the body drop, especially after 30. It is medically referred to as hypogonadism. Chronic or prolonged illness, besides other factors, could lead to it as well.
There are certain natural and synthetic supplements that can give the lowering testosterone a boost.
Besides medicines, there are different types of food that can also help in improving the testosterone levels in the male human body.
What Causes The Testosterone Levels To Drop
Low testosterone could be because of any of the following reasons:
- Loss of testicle or injury or infection in the organ.
- Radiation or chemotherapy treatments.
- Genetic anomalies like Klinefelter’s Syndrome, additional X chromosome.
- Hemochromatosis, excess iron production in the body.
- Dysfunctional pituitary gland or
- Inflammation of the lungs or sarcoidosis.
- Chronic liver and kidney diseases.
- Substance and liquor abuse.