Depression is a common but serious mood disorder. It is the most common illness worldwide and the leading cause of disability. The World Health organization (WHO) estimates that 350 million people around the world are affected by depression. A survey states more than 40% employees in startups suffer from depression. It causes severe symptoms that affect how you are feeling, thinking and behaving in your day to day activities such as sleeping, eating, or working, etc.
Sign and Symptoms of Depression
Depression varies from person to person, but there are some common signs and symptoms. It’s important to remember that these symptoms can be part of life’s normal lows. But the more symptoms you have, the stronger they are, and the longer they’ve lasted—the more likely it is that you’re dealing with depression.
- You feel hopeless and helpless
- You feel you’ve lost interest in friends, activities, and things you used to enjoy
- You feel tired all the time
- Your sleep pattern and appetite have changed
- You can’t concentrate or you find that tasks that were easy previously are now difficult
- You can’t control your negative thoughts, no matter how much you try
- You are much more irritable, short-tempered, or aggressive than usual
- You’re consuming more alcohol than normal or engaging in other such behavior
- Thoughts of death or suicide attempts
Depression, especially in midlife or older adults, can co-occur with other serious medical illnesses, such as diabetes, cancer, heart disease, and Parkinson’s disease. These conditions are often worse when depression is present. Sometimes medications taken for these physical illnesses may cause side effects that contribute to depression. A doctor, experienced in treating these complicated illnesses can help work out the best treatment strategy for you.
Treatment and Therapies
Depression, even the most severe cases, can be treated. The earlier the treatment begins, the more effective it is. Depression is usually treated with Medication, Psychotherapy or a combination of the two. If these treatments do not reduce symptoms, brain stimulation therapies may be options to explore.
Portea has recently launched counselling services towards the mental well-being of people. We offer counselling services through audio-call, video-call and at-home visits. Our expert team has years of experience in counselling and helping out people come out stronger and happier. To know more, click here.