Is the inner side of your shinbone painful and sore? Do you observe the development of a mild swelling in your lower leg? If you nodded along with a concern, then you might be suffering from shin splint. And, if you are wondering what shin splint is and how you can obtain relief from its discomfort, scroll down to discover all about it.
What Is Shin Splint?
Shin splint, which is also known as medial tibial stress syndrome, is inflammation of bone tissue, muscles, and tendons located around your tibia. Usually, the inner edge of your shinbone suffers pain due to shin splint that results due to the overuse of the shinbone, which is the large bone located in the front of your lower leg. Shin splint discomfort is common among the athletes, dances, runners, and military personnel. However, following certain exercises can help prevent or treat the discomfort resulting due to shin splint. So, let’s have a look at some effective exercises for shin splint.
10 Effective Exercises For Shin Splint That You Didn’t Know About
- Gastrocnemius Muscle Stretch
Gastrocnemius muscle stretch is one of the most effective exercises to relieve the discomfort occurring due to shin splint by working on the larger calf muscles.
- Stand in front of a wall and lean against the wall.
- Straighten your right leg or affected leg back by pushing its heel on the ground.
- You would feel a stretch at back of your right leg. However, if you cannot feel the stretch then try moving your heel further back till the stretch is felt.
- Hold the pose for 20 seconds and then relax.
- Follow this exercise by using left leg and repeat it thrice with each leg.