Do you worry that the slight inconvenience that you experience while climbing stairs could slowly convert to “everyday” knee pain in the future? Is a shooting knee pain preventing you from enjoying life? Does the risk of osteoarthritis bother you? If knee issues are on your mind, then performing some simple knee exercises could help put your knee- worries to rest.
10 Simple Knee Exercises To Keep Knee Problems At Bay:
1. Knee Squats:
Knee squats are highly effective in maintaining your knee healthy, pain-free, and flexible.
- Stand upright.
- Squat down till you see your kneecap covering your big toe.
- Get back to initial position.
- Repeat these squats 10 times.
2. Straight Leg Raises :
One of the simplest knee strengthening exercises that you can easily practice is straight leg raises.
- Lie down on your back on the ground, bend knee of your right leg by placing right foot flat on the ground.
- Make sure you keep your left leg straight and raise it as high as the height of your right knee.
- Hold on, count 5, and then lower your leg.
- Practice by switching your legs.
- Repeat this exercise 10 to 15 times in three sets.
3. Wall Squats:
- Stand straight with your back against a wall and your feet shoulder-width apart on the ground.
- Bend your knees slowly by maintaining your pelvis and back straight against the wall.
- Hold for 5-10 seconds and get back to the initial position slowly.
- Repeat it for some times.
Avoid bending too deeply. Try holding the sitting position longer a few seconds every time.
4. Hamstring Curls:
Performing hamstring curls can help keep knee problems at bay. Hamstrings are the muscles present along the backside of your thigh.
- Simply lie flat on your stomach facing the ground.
- Raise your heels and slowly bring them close to your butt.
- Hold on for 20 seconds. Perform this exercise 15 times in 3 sets.
- If you found this very easy, you can add ankle weights and perform it.
5. Calf Raises:
Have smooth and flexible knee movements by performing calf raises regularly.
- Stand upright facing the back of a chair for support and raise your heels slowly as high as possible.
- Hold on for some seconds and then lower them down.
- Perform calf raises 10-15 times in three sets. When you master it, raise one foot off the floor by balancing your weight on your other foot.
You can do calf raises by standing on the stairs, letting your heels hang off the step’s edge, and holding on to the banister for support.
6. Side Leg Raises:
- Lie on either of your side with your legs stacked comfortably
- Slowly bend your lower leg for support by keeping the upper leg straight, and raise your upper leg to 45 degrees.
- Hold on for 10 seconds.
- Lower your leg gradually and relax.
- Switch your sides and perform it again. Repeat the exercise 10 to 15 times on each side.
Try pointing the toe of your upper leg towards the ground as you raise it.
7. Mountain Climbers Workout:
Mountain climbers is another effective exercise to ensure good knee health.
- First, use your hands and toes and get into a push-up position facing the ground.
- Bring your left knee in, and then stretch it back.
- Bring your right knee in, then extend it back.
- Repeat it as fast as you can. Perform its 15 reps in 3 sets.
8. Walking Lunge:
- Stand straight, step forward by bringing your right foot in front, and lunge down.
- Now, bring your left foot forward, get into standing position by touching the toe of left leg to ground for one second
- Step forward with your left foot, and lunge down again.
- Continue lunging alternating each foot.
- Perform 15 reps in 3 sets.
So, make sure you perform these simple knee exercises regularly to keep your knees healthy and free from pain and discomfort. Also, it is advisable to consult a physiotherapist for knee issues.